Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My eye is funky...

One of my little charges has been going through a particularly rough period, especially in the subject of potty-training. I thought 2 weeks ago was the worst of it when, he stood, inches from where I was squatting trying to help him, while grunting out, "I don't have to go potty" while every body gesture was screaming, "I'm currently pooping my pants and you can't do anything about it."

At least it was contained.

Yesterday brought a new dimension. I thought progress had been made. The tantrums were decreasing in both intensity and time. Then something unearthed the dormant monster below. I wasn't sure what set him off. My co-teacher had to leave early and a substitute was brought in. I thought we were just about to go on the potty when a tantrum began. In the warm-up phase the sub had managed to get his undies and pants off because by this time he was tizzing (tantrum-whizzing, also of the same genre as lizzing: laughing and whizzing, as seen on 30Rock). By the time he was kicking and screaming he was performing a stand-up puddle stomp. Pee trickling down his leg. He refused a diaper, refused the potty, he even refused to stand near the potty as he continued to fling dribble on my skirt, the chair and everything within a two foot radius of the bathroom. I tried to shield myself from the onslaught while trying to calm the little man down. After 60 minutes I guess he could hold back the flood gate no longer and he agreed to let me set him on the toilet. With all that had splattered I thought it was safe to assume he didn't have much more. I was wrong. Still in the resolving shutters of the tanty he failed to aim and rapid fired on the remaining dry wall.

Today we did better. It was a minor incident this time revolving around hand-washing. What is it with boy's and hand-washing? Do they think all their hard-work and play is going to dissapear down the drain? He calmed down a bit when his best friend joined him at the sink. All of a sudden he wailed. "My eye, my eye!" I went over. I asked him if he'd gotten soap in it. He shook his head. Now wailing louder. I asked him what was wrong while I started to examine it for an eyelash or bubble or rock or 2x4. He then said, "Nothing's in it, my eye is funky." He stopped crying and walked away.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jess Steinitz said...

Ok, I was really afraid that this post was going to be about that kid that sneezed in your eyeball a little while ago. Phew.

1/4/09 09:57  
Blogger mystere said...

hilarious...love it

4/4/09 15:27  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like the funky eye!

9/5/09 18:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home